Tuesday, December 22

Excessive Christmas and the Ghosts of Christmas Past

There is an antique store that I drive by somewhat regularly when running errands in the western suburbs of Chicago. I have been meaning to stop in and browse for awhile, years literally, not because I'm really very interested in antiques, but because it looks like it could be a great place to take some unique photographs. I was finally prompted to stop in this holiday season because of a story I heard on the radio last week, about the place. When I heard the story, I knew exactly which store the story was about.


Apparently the store, Rosebud Antiques, was ticketed by the local government of Countryside, IL for an "excessive" display of Christmas decorations. The store owners were told that the displayed items can not include price tags and must remain within certain designated areas. The village claims that complaints have been made.


The story was also reported on local tv: http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/local/58443798-story.

Rosebud Antiques displays seasonal items outside and on the edge of the small parking lot throughout the year. Whether the display is considered attractive or not, it is always organized and orderly. In warmer months, old bikes are lined in a neat row along the store front window. I'm aware of the seasonal bicycle display due to my daughter's request for a new bike every time we pass by the store during the summer. Whatever the season, the merchandise is transferred in and out of the store on a daily basis by the two sisters who own the store. According to their reports, the effort takes two hours a day during the holiday season.


I don't know the origins of the initial complaints about the store's display or even the final outcome of the conflict between Rosebud Antiques and the Village of Countryside. One shoppers excess is another's delight, (just ask the patrons of the the new Countryside Hooters restaurant down the street from Rosebud Antiques). I do know that the story enticed me into visiting a location that provided the opportunity for some unusual holiday photos and an odd unexpected trip into my own ghosts of Christmas' past. The store contained more then a few items that could have leapt directly out of my own childhood Christmas celebrations.


And like the responses to Rosebud's Christmas display, I had my own unpredictable reactions (interested, amused and a little bit uncomfortable) to the items of Christmas past displayed at Rosebud Antiques. I expect you will, too.




Merry Christmas! May your holiday be delightful and a bit excessive!



No comments:

Post a Comment